Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Compulsion

This is Day 3 of the A to Z Challenge. Using the letters of the alphabet as a starting point, bloggers are challenged to write a post everyday except Sunday. It's a good way to meet new authors and bloggers, learn about interesting books and topics and gain readership. If you stalk me (follow), I will stalk you!





My posts are based on emotions/mental drama and anguish while introducing you to some books bearing the same or closely related titles/themes. The letter for today boys and girls is C!

 

 C is for Compulsion

I have to count the corners of the table or the number of items on a shelf. I find myself sitting aimlessly counting the number of tiles on the floor or the number of pictures on a wall.  Sometimes I count the number of people in a picture. 

I know a square has four sides but you guessed it, I even count those! It is quite bizarre. This need, this compulsion to count. 

I don't remember when it started or why I am compelled to do it. But I cannot stop! Even as I write these words I occasionally stop to count the number of panels on the door or the number of doors on the built-in-wardrobe or the number of recessed lights in the ceiling. 

I am Gollum and counting is my precious! 

 

 

Compulsion On the Bookshelf

Compulsion
Jake's convinced the magic will be permanent after Saturday, the perfect day, when every prime has converged. Once the game is over, he won't have to rely on his sister to concoct excuses for his odd rituals. His dad will stop treating him like he is some freak. Maybe he'll even make a friend other than Luc.
But what if the magic doesn't stay?
What if the numbers never leave?
Acclaimed author Heidi Ayarbe has created an honest and riveting portrait of a teen struggling with obsessive compulsive disorder in this breathtaking and courageous novel. - Amazon





Compulsion
Sitting atop the town's water tower, pastor Vance Howard finds himself drawn deep into a coversation with a suicidal man named Jake. A man that brings to light the horrors of Vance's own past. Horrors that cause Vance to question his faith, sanity, and everything he thought he was capable of... Compulsion is the gripping short story that causes one to ask "is there a limit to forgiveness...?"

JJ Johnson is the author of many short stories that are laced with twist and turns that keep the reader guessing... You can follow him on twitter @jjjohnsonWriter or on his blog at www.daydreamingwriter.wordpress.com

What about you? 

What are some of your compulsions and do they drive you or inhibit your life?

11 comments:

  1. You really got me thinking, I know I'll come up with something. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm a counter too. And I like to find the middle of things (like the middle book on a shelf) and I have to adjust things to an even number (such as the volume control on the tv). LOL. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I prefer even numbers too, in everything. LOL!! I think we may need help! hahahaha

      Delete
  3. Hum...not sure if I have one. I think when I bored and waiting in the doctors reception area I've counted; but that's all that comes to mind...and that's only if I've left the house with my yarn bag........ooooooo, maybe that's it. Having my yarn bag with at alll times, or almost all times is my compulsion?

    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a mild form of OCD and I don't count much, but my number is 5 and sometimes I'll do it. Like when I'm checking the door to make sure it's locked. These books look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I prefer the even numbers.

      Glad you stopped by because I was trying to remember your name so I could visit your blog again. :)

      Delete
  5. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect! Hope you’ll visit my blog at http://sasscadeaux.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!
      Glad to connect with you. I just visited your blog and it caused me to shed a tear, but a joyful one!
      Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  6. Funny how these little "compultions" work. For me, it's the completion of a game, or quest. I *have* to have 100% synchronization in Assassins Creed. I *have* to break all the blocks, find all the easter eggs, get all the achievements in my xbox games. I have to have all my money face the same way, from smallest to largest. I have a certain way I grocery shop...which is much different from how my hubs wants to do it. I get thrown off, and start to panic, just a little. I don't know why. It really is weird. :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    http://writebackwards.we3dments.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! ...these little quirks are what makes us really unique and certainly not weird. ;)

      Y'all come back now! Ya hear!

      Delete